Skip to Main Navigation | Skip to Content | Skip to Footer Navigation
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 11, 2019, 09:00:16 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: SMF - Just Installed!

+  Never Away Message Board
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Sentencing??
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sentencing??  (Read 17037 times)
andrew
« on: August 21, 2007, 06:12:40 PM »

I have just read todays newspaper, and I am in  total shock that a lawyer that told a LIE  was sentenced to FIVE years in prison, but a girl who caused a young man to lose his life was only sentenced to TWO years, I feel really angry when I read things like this, Were is the justice system in this country?? a lie receives five years in prison, but being responsible for causing someones death only justifies two years - I do not agree, and think our law has to be changed?
gramy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 08:23:52 PM »

Totally agree with last message.As a serving Police officer I have seen first hand the mockery that is our supposedly great legal service.Don't know how we are going to change it as it has been going on too long
ivan
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 12:05:05 AM »

It is a sad day when human life is not considered more precious
than anything else.
when will the authorities ever recognise the significance of LIFE
and reflect it in SENTENCING.
Something or someone or all toghether we must make
Human Life Priceless
I will try my best to make all realise the mistakes that take place
withing the system and try to change for the better
Ivano Pasquali
Riccardo's dad
aberdonian
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 11:25:29 AM »

In reference to the girl that was jailed for 2 years I agree that the judicial system in this country needs reviewed. But NOT because I think the girl should have been sentenced to longer in jail!

I think putting her in jail is pointless! She is no criminal and is no danger to society and the legal system needs to be overhawled to come up with better sentences for cases like this. YES she should be punished, but locking her up is NOT the answer! A long spell of community service possibly, where she actually has to give something back to the community. She could even have been forced to help publicise and educate on the dangers of the road! In the past few weeks I have read of even more young people dying on our roads and something needs to be done about it! And putting young people in prison is not working and will not work!

The key thing is stopping accidents like this from happening in the first place, there is nowhere near enough publicity on the dangers and young drivers are still unaware of them! Educating young people on the dangers of the roads and preventing future deaths should be more of a priority!

There is chat about this on the evening times website I came across and my views are shared by others: http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/display.var.1623254.0.0.php
andrew
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 02:04:43 PM »

In respect to your comments regarding community service, I do not understand how you can justify this, Can you honestly say the loss of a life is only worth community service, what about the victims family/friends they have been sentenced to a life with pain. If young people were sencented for longer maybe this would teach them to drive more carefully instead of speeding! How can some young person at the age of 17 teach about speed, when they do not know themselves?
aberdonian
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 04:07:59 PM »

Whilst I have the deepest sympathy for the family of the boy, from what I have read in the newspapers it seems the boy who unfortunately died was not wearing a seatbelt and was therefore thrown from the car - therefore this must have majorly contributed to his death. Yet all the blame in the papers seems to being put on the girl. I ask how can she be blamed for an adult not putting on their seatbelt which could have unquestionably saved their life and made this case a whole lot less serious than it became? Yet the legal system still sends her to prison which in my opinion is harsh.
I did not suggest they should teach about speed, I was more suggesting they could highlight the dangers by telling about what happened to them and make others think twice and not get themselves into the same situation. e.g. Scare tactics.
andrew
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 06:38:33 PM »

as a person who also read the newspapers It did not say that if the boy was wearing a seat belt he would have still been here today, what was wrote that if this young girl was not driving at an excessive speed this accident would never had occured, as the boys father will be reading this i would like to stop discussing this as I would not like to cause him any more upset. I believe if you are found guilty in a court of law, for causing death by dangerous driving then prison is the only option.
Zoe

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 07:03:49 PM »

Reply to aberdonian-After reading your posts i was shocked and quite simply outraged that you felt the need to voice such a brutal opinion!!
Considering this site has been specifically made for bereaved parents who are suffering from grief already without someone making remarks that are based on assumption.Dont you think his parents and family have been through enough!!??
As far as you disagreeing with her being imprisoned,The girl DID comit a crime therefore IS a criminal!!and should be punished appropriatly!!
Suggesting that community service would be more of an appropriate punishment is ludicris!!If that was the result of all deaths by dangerous driving it would almost certanily be more prominent,as how can community service be justice for someone being killed!!
At no point did it state that the driver was to blame for people putting seatbelts on,but it DID state that she was driving dangerously and put herself and others at risk and as a result caused a death!!
I myself was a passenger in this car and was not wearing a seatbelt,and i have survived,yet u seem to think it contributed majorly to riccardo's death,who's to say that if i had put a seatbelt on that i would still have been alive???There HAS been people killed even with seatbelts on.The impact of the crash was so severe that all four people could well have been killed.
You cant judge these things,but what you CAN judge and quite clearly see if you read the papers again,was that kirstyn WAS driving DANGEROUSLY and as a result caused the death of Riccardo.
I do think that seatbelts can SOMETIMES contribuate to crashes but certanly not always be a life saver.
The fact of the matter is kirstyn killed somene through her irresponsible actions and therefore should suffer the consequences!!!
I think she has got off lightly,she may well have expierienced guilt,but there is no comparrison and it does not even scratch the surface of what Riccardo's family has been and are still going throughalong with other bereaved parents!!!
I think your comments were harsh and insensitive, and quite possibly offensive to others,and would strongly advise if all your opinions are so harsh then you should keep them to yourself in future!!!
Claire

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 09:27:57 PM »

Zoe - I take my hat off to you for being so open with your comment, it takes a special kind of person to be able to come on to a forum and say what you just said.  Although I am saddened that you have had to dredge up details of an accident that I am sure is still very painful to think about, so all credit to you.  Incidentally I am inclined to agree with every word. The sentencing was in my opinion way to short so perhaps going in line with what aberdonian suggested adding on such a community service to the sentencing may be appropriate to educate other young drivers may also have some impact. All hind sight though.  Kirstyn was stupid and cause the death of a friend and injurys to herself and other friends, but should still pay the price.  After all if somebody accidentally kills somebody then they usually will have to serve a longer sentence.

Again admiration to you for expressing such painful memories.

As Andrew noted as respect to Riccardo and his family perhaps this thread on this particular event should now be brought to a close or at least generalize the topic as there will be many emotions running high and the people involved most closely with this situation should not have to defend themselves in this as they have already been through the mill.

Aberdonian - whilst you are more than entitled to voice your opinion and some of the points you made were valid IE: educate drivers, please be aware that this is a very delicate matter and remember why this website has been introduced.
frank1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 06:52:53 PM »

Zoe,
very well put. I know Ivano & his family are still in a state of shock nearly 2 years after the event.

No sentence or, retribution will bring back Ricky. They will have this living hell to go through in perpetuity.

The only people who can realistically comment, irrespective of knowledge, are those who have lost a child.
angela2
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 04:47:18 PM »

Actually Aberdonian if you are reading this then your opinion has shocked me to the core.  I also had a family member killed due to A DRIVER DRIVING DAGEROUSLY.  My neice also did not have a seatbelt on, nothing to be proud, of but not the reason she is dead today.  Actually due to the nature of the car flying through the air and striking a tree airboune the back of the car was crushed into the back seat and had she had her seatbelt on,  well there would be no telling what state her body would have been in. her not wearing her seatbelt was not a factor in her death. Community service should only be considered after a sentence has been  served.  People know driving too fast can kill and its usually not the driver that suffers. Education you say, well are you telling me they are smart enough to drive a car but not smart enough to know they are taking their life in their hands every time they get behind a wheel and the driver of riccardos car didnt even have a licence.

Prison doesnt stop people murdering people so why bother jailing anyone?

In my case the driver of the car was not remorseful, did not take responsibility nor did she apologise so a couple of weeks sweeping the street should be enough punishment then eh sorry your child died wisnea ma fault .......................... They put there foot on the pedal, they decide to drive recklessly they are blame no one else.

Usually people who have such opinions as yourself havent had a loss so tragic and believe everything that the papers decide to print.

Again in our situation they family of the driver has been allowed to print half truths and people believe them even though they dont know the facts.

With regards to your comments YOUNG DRIVERS NEED TO BE MADE AWARE  THE FACT THAT EVERY DAY IT IS SPLATTERED ALL OVER THE NEWSPAPERS IS THAT NOT ENOUGH AWARENESS.
ivan
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 01:23:01 PM »

Dear Angela2

I strongly agree with you and all your comments, If found guilty driving dangerously and someone in that car is killed, you are as good as murdering that person.
I now feel strong on the point that parents must also be held in a way responsable, especially if the driver is a young person.
I now think the law should be that young driver should not have passengers for the first say 6-12 months.
How do you educate young drivers?
First and foremost, there must be an adult with many years experience with any young driver.
If found guilty, the sentance must reflect a loss of a Human Life
Please keep in touch.

Ivano

angela2
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 08:32:58 PM »

Dear Ivano

That is the million dollar question How do you educate them?

I remember when i first passed my test, some 20 years ago lol, the 1st thing my driving instructor said to me was "a car was a lethal weapon"
His words have stuck with me until this day maybe even more so now.  When I passed  my test i had to borrow mum and dads car, was i carefull ? hell yes i was because if i so much had a parking ticket or a fine there would be no more car  FULL STOP.  We couldnt afford to get our own cars and thats half the battle because its too easy for anyone to get cars now as soon as you have passed your test you can drive what u like however if the car was your parents and it was needed for work and such you knew you would be in big trouble(thats assuming you respect your parents) if you got caught misbehaveing. With the threat of no car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  when its not your car you dont care, and thats the parents im talking about. As a parent if you know your child is drving around like an idiot an you take the role of " but its their car there is nothing you can do", you ignore it, doesnt affect you. however it may just be someone else's child it does effect .Again as long as its not yours eh?.  If its your car you take it off them easy!!!!!! No car No worries!

The point I am trying to make is IGNORANCE IS NOT BLISS AND ITS CERTAINLY NOT BLISS WHEN SOMEONES LIFE IS CUT SHORT BECAUSE OF IT. 

I agree for first 6 - 12 months only driving with a experienced driver beside you.

No cars full of friends
Automatic loss of licence if caught speeding in the first year of driving with a long bann and resit of test not within a year
Also harsher sentences whenever anyone is killed because of your stupidity

I dont know what the answers are but think that maybe as parents we can take steps to reduce the carnage on our roads make it harder to get cars when you have just passed your test. make them use their parents car until some experience is gained that way maybe we will care how they are diving and what they are doing .
Brian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 02:19:55 PM »

Being new to this site I had a look at some of the posts to maybe find some comfort.It has been 13 years since David was killed by Tony Cain a drunk driver and I thought I had control over my anger but after reading the post by aberdonian I became physically sick and wanted to shout and scream at him. The sentence that girl got was a total insult to the victims and to be released in only 7 months is disgusting. She like others who kill innocent people should be charged with manslaughter at the very least and serve the full term of the sentence. In my eyes the guilty should have a life sentence as we the victims have. Aberdonian,may you never have to suffer as we do.You have no idea.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length